Manual garage doors are less common if buying a new home or a new garage door. When shopping for a new garage door, you will usually find automated designs rather than manual ones. Older homes often have manual models, but that does not mean you cannot upgrade your existing garage door if you desire.
Modern home builders and buyers often opt for automatic models, and while they offer many benefits, they are not without their own drawbacks. We have pulled together common questions about installing an automatic vs. a manual garage door.
Jump to questions:
1. Can I make my manual garage door automatic?
2. Do automatic garage doors increase home value?
3. How much do automatic garage doors cost?
4. What are the benefits of automatic garage doors vs. manual?
5. What are the main drawbacks of automatic garage doors?
If you have purchased a home with a manual garage door or shopping for a new one, you might be wondering if it is even possible to install or convert your manual garage door into an automatic.
Yes. Homeowners can expect an 85% or greater return on investment by installing a new automatic garage door versus keeping their manual garage door.
If you prefer to replace your existing manual garage door with an automatic one, you will want to evaluate the features and design that are important to you. There is a wide range of prices based on brand, style, and configuration.
In 2022, the average cost of an automated single garage door is between $590 and $1,600 installed. A double automatic garage door will run you around $790 to $1,600 installed. Typically, the installation will cost about $350 per door.
- Automatic models are safer than manual ones, particularly if you have young children or pets in your home.
- Security and protection. Automatic garage doors offer more safety features than manual garage doors.
- Convenience. You don’t have to get out of your car or truck to open it, meaning you stay dry, warm or what have you until you get inside your home.
- Custom design. You typically have more options in terms of material, color, and design when you opt for an automatic model, as most modern garage door companies produce this type of door.
- Custom settings. You can generally customize how fast or slow it opens and closes.
- Durability. They are more resistant to damage to manual models because they have sensors that prevent them from closing when obstructions are present.
There are, however, several drawbacks worth noting.
There are several drawbacks associated with opting for an automatic garage door. For example, they:
- Are typically more expensive than manual models
- Take more work to install than manual models because they require proper configuration
- Generally require a professional installation because of the safety risks involved in doing so
In summary, most modern homebuilders and buyers prefer automatic models. Depending on what type of manual garage door you have and the condition, you may be able to upgrade your existing model to an automatic. For a free consultation of your existing manual garage door, call A1 Garage Door Service today at 844-388-3587.
See what one of our happy customers has to say about us.
I needed a power garage door opener added to my new shop with the existing manual door. A1 came out and gave me a quote for less than half of another company and was able to install the opener within a few days. Great experience and a fair price. I would highly recommend – Randy Mitchell ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Five stars!
See more of our reviews on Google!