The average cost of a new garage door can vary based on a number of factors. Here’s how to narrow down the price range of a new garage door by asking yourself a series of questions before you start your garage door search.
Before You Begin Your New Garage Door Search – What Questions to Ask Yourself
- What is your budget for a new garage door?
- What color and kind of garage door finish do you want?
- Which material is best for your garage door needs (aluminum, wood, steel, vinyl, faux wood, copper, fiberglass, or glass)?
- Will you get an insulated garage door?
- Will you need a custom garage door for the shape or size of your garage entrance?
- What capabilities should your garage door opener have?
- What kind of garage door accessories will you need to meet your functionality expectations?
- Do you want a new garage door with windows?
- If getting windows, do you want them to be frosted to keep your belongings safe?
- Do you need a previous garage door removed and disposed of?
- Will you install the garage door yourself or will you hire an expert garage door service provider?
Average Price of A New Garage Door – What Should I Budget For A New Garage Door?
The average price of a new garage door is often around $5,500 but can be anywhere between $2,150 to $10,000+.
If using a service provider to install your new garage door, you will typically have all costs quoted as one cost for labor, garage door, tracks, and any additional hardware. Additionally, where you live matters. If the cost of living is high, expect the cost of home services to be higher than average for garage doors and installation. If replacing a garage door, there are additional costs associated with the removal and disposal of your previous door.
Estimating the Price of a New Garage Door – Where do I start?
Pricing out a new garage door can be overwhelming if you are doing it yourself. After asking yourself questions about the type of garage door, color, and functionality that you need, it’s time to start your search and talk to a garage door expert.
- Select the size of the garage door for your needs (single door, double, or custom).
- Search online to get a good idea of how much a new garage door costs as well as the types of doors available, the material, the color you prefer, and the design.
- Call a garage door service provider to schedule a consultation for an accurate idea of the total cost. They will typically measure your door, go over the recommended garage door selection, and outline the next steps.
- Decide if you want to purchase your garage door through a home improvement store or a garage door company based on the costs and benefits.
Purchasing A New Garage Door Through A Home Improvement Store – What should you ask?
- What does the delivery of the new garage door cost?
- What is the total cost of installation for a new garage door?
- Is removal and disposal of the old garage door included?
- Is installing this type of door complicated?
- Are there any additional accessories that I will need to purchase to meet my expectations for the new garage door?
Does An Insulated Garage Door Make A Difference?
Yes, an insulated garage door can make a significant difference in terms of energy efficiency and comfort. Insulated garage doors help to prevent heat transfer, meaning that they keep the cold air out during the winter and the hot air out during the summer. This can help to regulate the temperature inside the garage, making it more comfortable to work in or use as a living space.
Insulated garage doors can also help to reduce energy costs by preventing air leaks and reducing the workload on heating and cooling systems. Additionally, they can help to reduce noise transmission from the outside, making the garage quieter and more peaceful.
Why Are Garage Doors So Expensive?
The cost of garage door components can vary depending on several factors such as the type of material, design, and features. Generally, high-quality materials such as wood or steel can be more expensive than other materials like aluminum or vinyl. Moreover, advanced insulation, windows, decorative hardware, and other additional features can also increase the cost of a garage door.
The manufacturing process of garage doors also involves specialized equipment and technology, which can add to the cost. Furthermore, the cost of raw materials can also fluctuate, affecting the price of the finished product.
Is It Hard To Replace Your Own Garage Door – Can I Install A Garage Door Myself?
We don’t recommend replacing your garage door as a DIY project. The springs, tensioners, cables, and weight of a new garage door can make it a dangerous project without the correct training and tools.
How Often Should A Garage Door Be Replaced – How Long Does A Garage Door Last?
Many factors can contribute to a shorter lifespan for your garage door. Generally – in perfect usage and climate conditions – you can expect to get anywhere from 15-30 years out of your garage door. That estimate decreases when you apply extreme climate and change in temperatures – from freezing temperatures in the winter to extreme heat in the summer. Frequent use – opening and closing the door multiple times a day can impact the lifespan of your door as well. If you’ve had an accident such as a collision with the door, or a natural disaster in the area like fire or earthquake – your door may need to be replaced.
Benefits of Having a Garage Door Service Provider Install Your New Garage Door:
- A professional will come to your house and measure your garage to select the right garage door for you.
- Usually, all costs are explained up front for labor, accessories, and the garage door itself.
- If you have a garage door design that is harder to install, you will save yourself time, money, and potential injury by hiring an expert.
- Possible temporary guarantee backing the work done by the service provider.
- Ensures a safe installation by an expert who follows a set of safety procedures to make sure your garage door functions properly and is secure.
What Can You Expect After Installing A New Garage Door?
- A boost to your curb appeal — most homeowners receive an 85% return on investment of their garage door!
- An increase in security and safety with enhanced garage door safety features – reducing the risk of theft and burglary.
- Savings by increasing the energy efficiency of your home.
- Warranties to save on any future repairs of your garage door.
Ready for a new garage door? Call us today for a free garage door consultation.
A1 Garage Door Service specializes in supporting homeowners in their garage door purchasing decisions. During your free consultation, you will go over the best materials, brands, styles, colors, and other technical specifications to select the best garage door for you. Contact us today at (844) 236-8448 or book online.
Check out what one of our many happy customers has to say about us.
Mario and Eric went above and beyond their job duties. They both were extremely friendly and professional. We would highly recommend them to our neighbors. Scott and Noah installed our new garage door and were very professional and went above and beyond to ensure we were satisfied and had everything we need. I would recommend them to everyone and would welcome them back anytime. A big thank you to Mario and an extended thank you to Scott and Noah for finalizing our purchase. – Bonnie Davis ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
We have a 4.8 average based on 3,651 reviews on Google!