Are you tired of the old look of your garage doors and want to change their style? Or maybe you are having your house renovated and of course, you need to include your garage doors and you want them to have a fresh look. Remodeling your garage doors needs careful planning and research so that you can be sure that they go well with the overall design of your house and you will not do anything too drastic that will reduce the value of your house.
We use our garage doors all the time and they are subject to wear and tear and even sustain unsightly dents and scratches as time passes by. Being part of our home’s exterior, our garage doors are what other people will see first. That is why it is important to keep it looking good so as to make a good first impression on them. Also, having a good-looking and well-maintained garage door increases your house’s curb appeal. So, what does it take to update the look of your garage doors?
Remodeling or buying a new garage door is a big decision. As we have always said, it needs careful planning before implementation so make sure that you do your research well. The good news is that there are many resources online that you can consult to give you a better understanding of your home improvement project. There are also companies like A1 Garage Doors that offer professional advice for this important task.
There are many ways to remodel your garage doors. You can turn it into a fun DIY project for the weekend or you may hire a professional to do the remodeling for you. However, there are pros and cons for whichever you decide to take. Here are some ideas and tips when remodeling your garage doors.
If you are the do-it-yourself type of person, you may look up posts online to find inspiration for your project as well as tips for proper installation. Keep tabs on what appeals to you, consult your spouse or other members of the household, or even relatives or friends who have an eye for style. Since you are going to do it yourself, research on the proper way of installing the garage door embellishments. Make sure you have the tools and materials needed to accomplish this task. If your garage doors are still in good working condition, then you could just update their look. Some common tips offered by designers to liven up the look of your garage doors are using paint, a gel stain or adding embellishments or overlays to brighten up the look of your doors. These ideas are easy to do and can help give your exterior a different look without hurting your pocket so much. How do they do it?
Update the look of your garage doors using paint or a gel stain
First, clean your garage doors thoroughly. You can use a power washer to get rid of stains like grime, molds, and dirt on the surface of your doors. Or if you are up to it, get your sponges, rags, and soap ready and scrub the dirt away. Then, apply the paint or gel stain on the surface of your garage doors. You might want to do it by section. Wait for it to dry and you are all done. If you want the color to last longer, you can use a clear finish on the door. Changing the color of your garage doors is an easy and inexpensive way of giving it a new look.
Update the look of your garage doors with embellishments
Once you have decided on the design that you want, you can shop for embellishments to help you accomplish the look that you are going for. Adding decorative details and features will enliven your boring garage doors. You can add vinyl sidings and panel overlays. Or you can be creative and use other materials that would fit the design that you want.
Repainting your garage doors or adding embellishments on them can help you create a faux wood design or even style it like a carriage door depending on the materials that you will use. Changing the color to lively hues can also instantly brighten your garage doors instead of the dull and plain look of an aluminum or steel garage door. Remember to do your research or ask the employees at the hardware or home improvement stores how to install the embellishments and overlays properly so that your home improvement project will not turn into a disaster. You can search online for the step by step procedures on how to install new garage doors, learn the parts that come with them, have the materials you need at hand, and make sure that you can follow the instructions well. We wish you good luck and enjoy your home improvement project!
The Pros and Cons
These DIY ideas are quick and easy to do. They will also definitely save you a lot of money. It is also fun to do and can be a bonding activity for the family. However, you need to do your research well as you want to make sure that you do it right or else it will turn into a catastrophe that will surely give you a headache. This project is ideal for those houses with simple or basic garage doors. For those houses that have modern garage doors with complicated or technical parts, you might be better off consulting professional garage door service providers to make sure that you will not damage any of the features, as some of the parts may be too sensitive or delicate to handle on your own.
If you are not the DIY type or if your DIY skills will do more harm than good, then better leave the job to the professionals. A1 Garage Doors are professional garage door installers offering quality service.
They can give you sound advice regarding the aesthetics and safety features of your garage doors. They have everything you need from materials to services to have your garage doors remodeled. They can customize your garage doors according to your preference – you can choose from their selection of wood, faux wood, steel, aluminum, copper, or glass garage doors. They can remodel your garage doors into contemporary, carriage-house, or the traditional raised garage doors, it depends on what suits your taste. You can even choose the color that you want from blue garage doors, black garage doors, white garage doors, to purple garage doors, yellow garage doors, or red garage doors. Remodeling or changing your garage doors is a huge investment that is why you need to consult a reliable expert to be sure about your decisions. Representatives from A1 Garage Doors will guide you in the process and will give you choices that would involve not just the aesthetic part but also the materials, accessories, safety and security measures, and energy efficiency to make sure that you will invest your money wisely.
The Pros and Cons
Hiring professional garage door installers to remodel your garage doors will definitely mean that you have to allot a considerable amount of budget for this home improvement project. But the good thing is that you know that you are investing your money cleverly as you will not just be updating the look of your garage doors but also enhancing their safety and security measures. You can be confident with your decision. It is a worthwhile investment as it will surely increase the value of your home.
However, here are some factors that you need to consider before you go all out on your remodeling project.
- Budget – As mentioned above, you can make it a DIY home improvement project to cut costs. For just a fraction of the cost, you get to update the look of your garage. Of course, we all want to be able to save up on some cash. Know your budget and stick to it. But you also have the option to call A1 Garage Doors so that they can give you a free estimate of the expenses should you decide to avail of their service. This will give you an idea of the costs and allow you to set aside a budget for this project. If you have extra money, it is still advisable to hire garage door service providers as they are the most capable to do the job. You would not regret this decision because would be a good investment for the added value that it would give your home later on.
- Materials – You need to understand which materials are energy efficient, which will stand the test of time, which is easier to maintain, and which will suit your house and your budget. Choose heavy-duty and high-quality materials so that you will be sure that they will stand the test of time. A1 Garage Doors has a wide selection of garage door materials such as wood, vinyl, glass, steel, aluminum, or fiberglass. They also carry different brands of garage doors that you can choose from depending on the quality and specifications that you like.
- The overall design of the house – In as much as you want to make your garage doors stylish, check if it will fit with the overall design of your house. You do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb for that matter. The design or look of your new garage door should be compatible with the design of the rest of the house. This will increase its curb appeal and value. That is why it is also better to consult garage door service providers as they know best which design would be compatible with your house. But if you’re remodeling your garage doors as a DIY project, just be careful with your choices and do not go overboard.
- Functionality – Take note of the main function of your garage doors. While most of us use the garage for parking our vehicles, others use that space for laundry, workstation, storage, extra room, or something else. This will affect the new garage doors that you will choose. Do you want them automatic or manual? Will you go for the carriage house, contemporary, or traditional raise? What add-ons do you need to make it more functional for you? A1 Garage Doors has all these styles for you that will suit the purpose of your garage doors.
- Added value – Enhancing the features of your garage doors can add to the curb appeal and value of your house should you decide to sell it later on so better make sure you are doing it right.
Remodeling your garage doors can be a simple change of paint colors, the addition of some embellishments to make it look prettier, or buying a new set of garage doors altogether. You need to do your research, plan ahead, and clear up your expectations. Set aside the time, money, and other resources needed to accomplish the project. Do not rush things as it might cause you to make a costly mistake. For those who decide to make this a DIY project, make sure you do your research especially regarding the proper installation. Always exercise caution to avoid damaging the outside of your homes. For those who will hire professional garage door service providers, make sure you go with a trusted and reliable company who will give you quality products and service. They must be a licensed company and properly insured so that you are also protected as a client. They will make things so much easier for you. But whether you prefer to do it yourself or hire professional garage door installers for your remodeling project, it is important to take the time to plan the details carefully and allot a budget for this. Remember, you are not just simply changing your garage doors. You are enhancing the features of your whole house and adding value to it. And keep in mind that the safety and security of your homes should never be compromised by the aesthetics involved in remodeling your garage doors.