Nowadays, if you are buying a new home or a new garage door, the garage door itself is probably automatic in design, rather than manual. Older homes often have manual models, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you cannot upgrade to an automatic model, should you desire to do so.
Modern homebuilders and buyers often opt for the automatic models, and while they offer many benefits, they are not without their own drawbacks.
Benefits of Automatic Garage Doors
Automatic garage doors are more modern than manual models, and they offer the following benefits.
- You don’t have to get out of your car or truck to open it, meaning you stay dry, warm or what have you, until you get inside your home.
- Automatic models are safer than manual ones, particularly if you have young children in your home.
- You typically have more options in terms of material, color and design when you opt for an automatic model, as most modern garage door companies produce this type of door.
- You can generally customize how fast or slow it opens and closes.
- They are more resistant to damage to manual models, because they have sensors that prevent them from closing when obstructions are present.
There are, however, several drawbacks worth noting.
Drawbacks of Automatic Garage Doors
There are several drawbacks associated with opting for an automatic garage door. For example, they:
- Are typically more expensive than manual models
- Take more work to install than manual models because they require proper configuration
- Generally require a professional installation because of the safety risks involved in doing so
In summary, most modern homebuilders and buyers prefer automatic models, and for good reason. If you have a manual garage door, you may be able to upgrade it to an automatic model, depending on which one you have. If you aren’t sure if you have an upgradeable model, A1 Garage Door Service & Repair can help you find out.